Add some protein to your party appetizer with these tasty split pea empanadas ready in 25 minutes.
• 1 box (14 oz) refrigerated pie crusts (2 count) softened as directed on the box
• 1 lb Sivid Split Pea Soup
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 egg beaten or 3 tablespoons of an egg wash replacement
• 1 cup firmly packed parsley
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons fresh or dried oregano leaves
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• ½ teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line cooking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl mix together Sivid Split Pea soup and cumin.
3. Remove the pie crust from pouch and on a cutting board, unroll each pie crust one at a time. With the rolling pin, roll out the crust until it’s 18 inches in diameter.
4. With a 3 ½ inch round cookie cutter, cut rounds from pie crust.
5. Working with 1 dough round at a time, top each with about 1 teaspoon of the split pea mixture. Moisten edges of dough with water; fold dough over and use fork to seal the dough all along the curved edge.
6. Arrange in a single layer, not touching on cookie sheet. Brush empanadas with egg wash.
7. Allow to cool slightly before serving with chimichurri!
1. Finely chop, garlic and oregano if you’re using fresh oregano. You can also use a food processor and pulse several times. Place in a small bowl.
2. Stir in the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and olive oil. Adjust seasonings if needed.
3. Serve with empanadas.